Reassuring news after Elias Skipagötu’s head injury
PARTIAL. Elias Ellefsen á Skipagötu disappeared from the final after suffering a head injury in the second half.
But coach Michael Apelgren always believed that the big star was on the bench and ready to play.
– We can discuss whether Michael Apelgren shouldn’t have a little more control, smiles Michael Apelgren after the loss against Kristianstad.
There were ten minutes left in the second final match between Sävehof and Kristianstad, when Elias Ellefsen á Skipagötu hit his head on the floor after landing.
Sävehof’s big star walked off the pitch and into the dressing room. He came back and sat for a while on the bench. But during the double overtime drama, which Kristianstad eventually won 45–44, the Faroese was not in the hall and after the game he had left the arena.
Then the coach came Michael Apelgren with reassuring information about Skipagötu.
– It must be calm.
He can play on Thursday?
– Yes. I was told during the game that he had been able to continue playing today. But he had a certain cousin who wasn’t too bad today. That decision felt right. Elias was not so good today.
“Didn’t even turn around and check”
Skipagötu’s 17-year-old cousin Oli Mittun stepped in and replaced brilliantly.
But wouldn’t you have wanted him on the bench in that case? Mittun could have sprained his foot or something?
– Yes? I didn’t even turn around and check. So he wasn’t on the bench?
– I coached based on the fact that I thought Oli was better.
Apelgren therefore thought he had his biggest star available on the bench during the thriller.
– We can discuss whether Michael Apelgren shouldn’t have a little more control. But it was quite messy, he says with a smile.
#Reassuring #news #Elias #Skipagötus #injury