Strange pictures of Andres Ambühl – who became historic in the World Cup
It’s a star-studded Swiss team chasing World Cup medals this spring.
But in addition to names like Nino Niederreiter, Jonas Siegenthaler, Nico Hischier and Swedish acquaintance Kevin Fiala, another name stands out.
The 39-year-old is doing his 18th WC tournament and on Sunday evening he showed that old is the oldest.
This when he showed the way with his two goals in the meeting with the Czech Republic, which was defeated 4–2 in Riga. In doing so, the team also secured the group victory.
On that, the two goals led to Ambühl, who has made over 300 international matches, also becoming the Swiss national team player with the most points scored, close to 140.
After the match, he was praised by the aforementioned Fiala.
– He has had a long career and done so much for Swiss hockey. You see how many fans love him and call his name and it’s great that he got two goals today. He doesn’t get old, said Kevin Fiala to SVT.
Won WC silver in 2013
– He is 39 years old but looks like 20. Fastest in the team, fastest on the ice. I am incredibly happy for him.
Then Ambühl himself reached the microphones on television.
– Of course it is special. They always support us and it’s always special. I’m happy to give them three points. We play well as a team. Both defensively and offensively. But the numbers speak for themselves, he said and continued:
– There have been some memories… the silver is there. But I have good memories and will hopefully create more.
Then he was asked the following question:
How do you see today’s victory and how the team presented itself?
Then Ambühl suddenly chose not to answer in English as before. Instead he answered in what can be assumed to be German. This as Davos, where he comes from, is German-speaking.
Then there was a short silence from the reporter before the interview ended.
– Thank you, concluded the 39-year-old.
Tre Kronor’s Patrik Nemeth after the crush
#Strange #pictures #Andres #Ambühl #historic #World #Cup