Tom Kim was covered in mud during the PGA Championship
Goofy scenes at the PGA Golf Championship.
Tom Kim, 20, hit it crooked and when he was about to catch the ball, he fell into the mud – and washed off on the court.
– It’s a bit embarrassing…, he says.
The incident from the first round of the golf major has gone viral.
Tom Kim pulled up with a big error and the ball landed in swamp-like conditions on the side of the fairway. But the 20-year-old South Korean did not see the battle as lost.
“No turning back”
In an attempt to find the ball, Kim did not hesitate but went straight into the mud and when he came back up he was covered in mud up to his waist – and without having found the ball.
– Once my foot was in, there was no turning back. I had to use all means to get out of the mud again, says Kim according to The Guardian.
In an attempt to get rid of the dirt, he got into the water at the side of the course and washed off and later changed his shirt on the fairway.
– It couldn’t get worse. I was wet enough that I might as well get in the water and wash myself off.
“A bit embarrassing”
When he later found out that the incident had been filmed and widely circulated on social media, he burst out laughing.
– I was hoping there wouldn’t be pictures, he says.
– It’s a bit embarrassing. But I wouldn’t do anything differently and I have no regrets. I think I would have regretted it more if I hadn’t tried. Every beat means so much to me.
Tom Kim had a tough day overall, carding a 73, three over par, and is tied for 63rd.
#Tom #Kim #covered #mud #PGA #Championship